As I begin to get to grips with the Journal Quilt Challenge for 2016, better late than never.
I thought you might like to know about my feelings on last years' challenge. The requirements for 2015 were for pieces 6 x 12 inches, landscape or portrait format which had to be followed all the way through. I opted for a landscape theme in a portrait form.
|July, August, September 2015|
In order to save time I decided to make four long pieces that would be split into three, giving me the twelve that I needed to complete the challenge. Jan -June can be seen here.
|October, November, December 2015|
A good idea in theory but in practice I soon learnt that I had tried to be too clever because although the idea of splitting the pieces up was okay, I hadn't given enough thought to what those pieces were about. I chose to do a subject that I was familiar with and that didn't give me any technical challenges. I knew exactly what I was doing because I had done very similar pieces before.
The result of this was that I got bored very early on and found it a chore to complete all pieces.
This hadn't happened to me the year before as I was playing and trying something new.
(If you followed the link I gave at the top of this post you can see what I did in 2014.)
So as I get into the JQ's for 2016 I have set myself a new challenge. At the moment I am struggling and wondering if I have chosen well but time will tell and I suppose that it the whole point of the exercise. More to come!